TYPES OF MYCOTOXINS Mold and mycotoxins exposure can be dangerous to your health and can impact residents in Victoria, Cowichan, Duncan, Nanaimo, Par"/> Are Mold + Mycotoxins Making You Sick? - Vancouver Island | Pacific Decon

Are Mold + Mycotoxins Making You Sick?

2019-10-02

TYPES OF MYCOTOXINS

Mold and mycotoxins exposure can be dangerous to your health and can impact residents in Victoria, Cowichan, Duncan, Nanaimo, Parksville, Qualicum, Courtenay, Comox, Campbell River, and Port Alberni.

Inhaling or touching mold or mildew may have hazardous health effects. But, not everyone may be adversely affected by molds. Those who have other allergies or existing respiratory conditions such as asthma, sinusitis, or other lung diseases are more susceptible to the effects of mold exposure.

People with an impaired or weakened immune system will have severe reactions to molds. Pregnancy, autoimmune disease, AIDS, or diabetes are medical conditions that can weaken your immune system. Infants, small children, and elderly people are also vulnerable to mold contamination.

Some of the different types of mycotoxins are:

  • Aflatoxins (produced by Aspergillus) – includes Aflatoxin B1, B2, G1, G2, M1 and M2 
  • Ochratoxin – includes Ochratoxin A, B, and C
  • Trichothecene (produced by Stachybotrys) – includes Satratoxin-H, Vomitoxin and T-2 mycotoxins
  • Fumonisins – includes Fumonisin B1 and B2
  • Zearalenone

Size of Mycotoxins

Like mold spores, mycotoxins are too small for us to see with the naked eye. Mycotoxins are as small as 0.1 microns. Mold spores are between 1 and 20 microns. Human hair, for comparison, is about 100 microns thick.

MYCOTOXINS AND YOU

How Mycotoxins Enter the Human Body

When people are around toxic mold they are usually exposed to airborne mycotoxins by breathing them in. These mycotoxins end up in the lungs and cause breathing problems and other severe symptoms.

Mycotoxins in the air can also enter through a person’s eyes, and can be absorbed through the skin as well.

Another way mycotoxins get into a person’s body is by the person eating food with mycotoxins in it. This can happen if toxic mold has been growing on crops.

Many mycotoxins remain toxic even after being cooked. This is one reason why mycotoxins are a big problem in agriculture. A binding agent is used on crops such as grain after harvesting to remove mycotoxins.

During 2004 in Kenya, 125 people died after eating maize contaminated with aflatoxin mycotoxins. There have been many cases of pets dying from eating pet food with mycotoxins in it as well.

Read more on…How vulnerable are you?

How Long Do Mycotoxins Stay Toxic

According to experts, some mycotoxins can remain toxic for several years. Things like ultraviolet light or freezing temperatures do not have much effect on mycotoxins.


Safe Levels of Mycotoxins

The tolerable daily intakes used by governments and international risk managers, such as the Codex Alimentarius Commission, are to establish maximum levels of mycotoxins in food. The maximum levels for mycotoxins in food are very low due to their severe toxicity. For example, the maximum levels for aflatoxins set by the Codex in various nuts, grains, dried figs and milk are in the range of 0.5 to 15ng/g.

Killing Mycotoxins

Mycotoxins aren’t actually alive like mold spores. So when we talk about “killing mycotoxins” it really means breaking down mycotoxins and their toxicity so they are no longer dangerous to humans.

It takes fire at 500 degrees Fahrenheit (260 degrees Celsius) for half an hour or fire at 900 degrees Fahrenheit (482 degrees Celsius) for 10 minutes to destroy trichothecene mycotoxins.

Mycotoxins do eventually break down and lose their toxicity after some time. Some types of mycotoxins can take several years though, for example trichothecene mycotoxins which are among the most resilient.

System of the body affected by Mycotoxins

Mycotoxins absorbed by the skin, airways and intestinal lining affects multiple organs, including the lungs, musculoskeletal system, as well as the central and peripheral nervous systems.
Mycotoxins effect Mitochondria Findings suggest that mycotoxins such as citrinin, aflatoxin, effect mitochondrial dysfunction. Mycotoxins can induce oxidative stress even at low concentration/dose that may be one of the major causes of mitochondrial dysfunction.

How Can You Neutralize Mold?

We neutralize your mold by applying our eco-friendly, safe chemical into your home, attic, crawlspace, or basement. Depending on the job, we apply our formula by spray, mist, foam, or fog. We do not use a tent. The average time of our on-site service is approximately one hour. An additional four hours is required to achieve maximum effectiveness. We ask that you stay out of the premise for approximately 5 hours in total. Read more about how we work.Paragraph

Pacific Decontamination Services uses the world’s strongest, most effective and safe antimicrobial disinfectant, deodorization and chemical decontaminate. Our professional application will eliminate up to 99.99999% of any allergen, germ, bacteria or fungus that it touches. AND as powerful as it is, it is also completely safe.

What do you do next? How do you solve the challenge of mold and associated health hazards?

Call Pacific Decontamination Services at 778-269-0208 or email us!

Serving All of Vancouver Island: Victoria, Cowichan, Duncan, Nanaimo, Parksville, Qualicum, Courtenay, Comox, Campbell River, and Port Alberni

Discussion

Page Attributes